Wednesday 13 January 2021

Designing Wedding Invitations in a Pandemic


So if you have been following my blog for at least a year you will know that I am due to get married at the end of April 2021...pause for laughter...

I know that to some people they will be telling me to dream on taking into account the state the country is in at the minute, but my word for the first 4 months of this year is "Optimism" and I still have lots of it. Not getting into the ins and outs of why I believe this but one has to stay positive otherwise what's the point!

Anyway with the ongoing pandemic I have yet to send out my main wedding invitation. The constant uncertainty has made me push back designing the invitations until now and I've had to include things and write things that I hadn't considered before this pandemic. Sometimes it's difficult to know what is the right thing to say and when I think about people receiving these invitations I don't want them to be confused about the day. For some of it, we still don't have confirmation from the venue with regards to exactly what we are eating on the day (we have a roundabout idea - Afternoon Tea, Fish and Chip Supper) and also if there are rooms available for our guests to stay at the hotel, so when it comes to writing food menus or accommodation details, we are having to fill in the blanks.

I have waited my whole crafting life for the moment when I can design my own wedding invitations and even though I feel the stress and pressure of designing them, I am also excited and want to create something that will introduce our guests to the theming of the wedding. Considering designing a less elaborate version of the invitation for Covid's sake wasn't an option! It's all or nothing! - and I have had days when I almost considered the nothing!

So aside from the usual details you would include in a normal wedding invitation, we have also included a note to our friends and family to obviously take note of the pandemic and explain that things will likely be uncertain until weeks before the wedding. For this reason we are also asking for our guests to RSVP with an email address and mobile number so that we can then keep updating them with the details of the day and if we have to reduce numbers we may notify our guests this way.

The other aspect of the invitation we had difficulty wording was about Gifts. I've read lots of different things about whether to include that on the invitation, writing poems, including websites or gift lists etc. For us we are hoping to be able to honeymoon (in the UK) after the wedding and have said from the beginning that we would most likely ask for honeymoon donations. However last night I was thinking, would our guests want to give cash? Cash has become almost obsolete in the Covid-19 world of shopping and everything is card or contactless. I started investigating websites that might offer this service but I'm also wary of using a company for our guests to donate to, as well as it feeling a bit pushy to thrust a website upon people to give us money.

In the end we opted for a poem that hinted at honeymoon donations and we will leave it up to our guests to decide. At the end of the day all we really want is to be able to celebrate with the ones we love and if we are able to see their face on the day, that will be better then any gift we could ask for.

So now that we have confirmed the wording on the wedding invitation, I am still finalising the colours and intricate details before I get to making. I am hoping to finish them all by the end of January so I can get them sent out and hopefully that will be enough time for our guests to decide by the end of February if they would still like to come!

Fingers crossed!

I will be sharing more photos of our main invitations in a Wedding Series on the blog that will be featured in May - no sneak peeks until then I'm afraid!

No comments :

Post a Comment