Thursday 6 August 2020

Curio Display Box



A bit later than planned, we have finally got around to finishing this beautiful curio box project that we can now share with you. A few weeks ago I was desperate to get in the craft room and make something. Looking around the room I caught sight of the Tim Holtz Curio Box Big XL die that we hadn't got round to even using yet. An idea popped into my head of how I wanted this project to look and I got to making straight away. This project is very simple to make and if you fancy something a bit more intricate and advanced then you definitely want to check out Pinterest for some fantastic ideas. Since this was the first time I had got in the craft room for a while I wanted to pick something fairly easy that I knew I could accomplish (well thought I could - still took an extra 2 weeks to get it all stuck together!!).

Anyway, here is a list of the products I used:-

Metal Brads
7Gypsies Paper Pad
Tim Holtz Distress Paint - Antique Linen
Tim Holtz Distress Crayon - Picket Fence


Looking at my project I'm not sure if I have got the base and top of the box the wrong way round... but I preferred to use the box this way so that I could cut a frame out more easily.

I used chipboard for the base of my box and folded along the score lines and stuck the tabs together. I then used some washi tape to reinforce the joins before adding some strips of patterned paper. I cut the top of the box out from patterned paper and then chose a framelit die that I wanted to use as a frame for the front of the box. I added some patterned paper to the inside of the box that I wanted to use behind the pocket watch.


I added a photo to the inside of the pocket watch and then added some ribbon through the loop at the top and tied a bow. I decided to leave the pocket watch as it is rather then distressing it with paint or alcohol ink. To make the pocket watch stand out in the box I layered it on top of a couple of MDF circles that I stuck together. This helped the pocket watch stay in place more securely than layering 3D foam pads.


I used a white Tim Holtz Distress crayon to colour in the letters on the metal word band and then used a wet wipe to get rid of any excess. I attached the word band to the front of the box using a couple of metal brads.

To make the box more decorative I decided to add some finials to the top and bottom of the box and coloured these using Antique Linen distress paint.

This is the perfect piece of home decor to display a favourite photo in and definitely helps to dress up a boring old bookcase!

No comments :

Post a Comment