Monday 26 April 2021

Craft Room Reveal


I am finally excited to reveal my new craft room, and it has been a long time in the making! Since me and Conor moved into our house in 2018, I knew I wanted to convert the smallest bedroom into a craft room/ office for me. With other areas of the house needing to be prioritised first, this room had to sit on the back bench until we had the time and the money to invest in it. This room wasn't in the best condition when we moved in and the room also had a stairs bulkhead that we needed to get converted to maximise space in the room.

I have included a couple of before photos below...



The walls were in poor condition when we moved in and the skirting boards were very high and coming away from the wall. Therefore we needed to take those off and get the room replastered.

Once we had taken down the majority of the cupboard from the stairs bulkhead, we were left with a basic bulkhead structure that needed to be covered up and made into something useful.


I decided that building a cupboard over the top of the bulkhead will be the most practical solution so that I could store a lot of craft/office supplies. For this job we needed to find a local carpentry company - unfortunately the company we chose were not the best and we did have quite a few problems along the way. 


However we did finally get a cupboard that had the look of what I had initially planned...


As you can see, the cupboard fills the entire space up to the ceiling to maximise the total storage space I could achieve in this area. 


There are three shelves inside the cupboard which are very deep and enables me to double up on storage space. As you can see from the picture above I have started to organise my supplies and used my Silhouette die cutting machine and some vinyl to label the boxes.

Product Links:


The doors are very wide which gives me plenty of room to manoeuvre boxes in and out of the cupboard and they have a magnetic catch on the doors for easy opening and closing.


Alongside the cupboard, we also had new skirting boards fitted in the room as well. Once this cupboard was complete we were able to give the room a fresh coat of paint and then got some new carpet fitted as well to freshen it up.

So moving onto the rest of the room...


As you can see from above, the room is fairly small and the cupboard we had built is on the left as you walk into the room, situated behind the door. On the right hand side I have a couple of storage units and a table.


The tall unit is an Ikea Kallax unit. Initially I thought I wanted to put this unit on the wall above my desk but once built, this unit is very heavy and therefore it would have been too difficult to mount on the wall. I'm using this unit to store my Project Life albums and also extra albums and notebooks. I also have some 12x12 plastic storage for my scrapbooking papers and plain 12x12 card stock. There is also a shredder at the bottom of the unit.

Alongside the Ikea Kallax unit, I have another storage shelf and drawer unit which I bought off Amazon.


This unit was a great find and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for storing my craft machines. I have my Silhouette die cutting machine on the top of the unit, followed by two printers underneath (one laser, one inkjet). I then have my Heidi Swapp Minc machine and I have some CDs stored at the bottom - these will likely move if I get any new machines! These are all plugged in on an extension lead so that I can easily use these machines in situ. The drawers next to the shelves have some Silhouette and Minc accessories.

Product Links:


Next to these units I have a desk which I have set up with a ring LED light for taking pictures and also my laptop which features my Craft Artist design software. The wall is very plain at the moment but I hope to jazz this up with either some art work or decorations - maybe paper fans.


On the other side of the room (next to the cupboard) I have my main desk which I keep my essential tools on and die cutting machine. I have some Ikea peg boards on the wall just above my desk which keeps my paper trimmers and scoring board handy, as well as some kitchen roll, ruler and scissors. When I next go to Ikea I want to pick up some more peg board accessories and add a few extra bits.

Above the peg boards I have two shelves which I am using to display some of the projects I have made and also some photos and journals.

Product Links:



On the side of my cupboard, next to my desk, I have stuck a wipe clean calendar, which I can change very easily and keep track of what I am doing each month. Below the calendar is a magnetic board which I am using to display my favourite photos and some keyrings. I can also pin up anything that inspires me or any reminders I need to keep close to hand.


So that sums up my craft room reveal. I have included links throughout the blog post to any of the items I bought and are currently still available. The one thing I am still in need of is an Ikea Alex drawer unit which they have just recently got back in stock. So once we take another trip to Ikea I will update the room with that for storage of my inks, pens, paints, adhesives and more! The other finishing touch is to install some venetian blinds as I currently have no curtains!

No comments :

Post a Comment