Thursday 30 June 2011

Oh so shabby


 Hey bloggers, well its been quite a sunny day here in Crawley and I thought what a perfect day to do some painting and upcycle those lovely vintage treasures. Its amazing what a coat of Annie Sloan paint can do and a bit of wax, creating the perfect shabby chic look. There is a bit of a story behind finding this Annie Sloan paint and I would suggest it to anyone who desires this shabby chic effect. When we were on holiday we found a beautiful shop in Falmouth called Sweetpea and Betty, full of shabby chic accessories for the home which they had upcycled and repainted. The colours they had used on the furniture were gorgeous and it wasn't long before we were in an in depth discussion about how to achieve the best effects from Annie Sloan paint which they sell in the shop. Well, I have to say I think this paint has changed my life, its a chalk paint and comes in very subtle colours, perfect for vintage decor.


As you can see we bought the tester pots and honestly it won't be long before we buy a tester pot of every colour. The bonus of these paints is that you don't need to prime or sand the items before you paint them because this paint will stick to most things including plastics, stone, brick, concrete and metal. And because it is a chalk paint it is so easy to sand off to create the shabby chic look you desire.
So what did I paint today? Well remember the old vintage letter rack I bought in St Ives (if not there is a picture underneath to show what it looked like before).


A bit of duck egg blue and some wax and hey presto, a total transformation................



I also painted an mirror frame that was in desperate need of a makeover, unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture but I'm sure you could imagine. Anyway here's the result.......


All I need to do now is add an old brass chain to the back to hang it up, just need to find the perfect chain, better start hunting.
Until next time......

Sue & Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment