Monday 24 May 2021

Wedding Series 2: Beach Bouquets


Next up in our wedding series are the beautiful bouquets. Since our wedding is themed around the beach/seaside, I wanted to incorporate a beach theme into my bouquet. Also as a crafter I knew that I wanted my bouquet to be made from artificial flowers/fabric, rather than having real flowers. This way I get to keep my bouquet forever and it allows me to get very creative!

Mum took the lead in making these for me as she also made the bouquets for my sister's wedding back in 2015 (click here to read that post). We decided to incorporate some of the same style of fabric flower in my bouquet as well, but aside from that, we needed to find different types of flowers that would work well with the theme. I also wanted to include some shells and starfish in the bouquet to elaborate on the beach theme.


We sourced nearly everything from online retailers (mainly due to UK lockdown) and played around with quite a few options before things started to click into place.

We got the bouquet holders from eBay - but you can get the same ones from Floracraft, which is a US retailer. Unfortunately the ones we got from eBay still needed to be shipped from the US but they arrived quite quickly. These bouquet holders were the prettiest ones we could find and they feature a beautiful clear plastic handle that looks like fine crystal - much nicer than a white plastic handle. Also the size of these were larger than others we found in the UK.

The large blue flowers on the bouquet came from a flower arrangement we found on Amazon. Unfortunately we couldn't use some of the other flowers that were included in this arrangement as they were too large.

The blue beading we included was sourced from eBay. This came as cream coloured pearls but we managed to colour them using some Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Pearls in the colour Tranquil.


You may also be ale to see in the picture above that we included pieces of artificial reef. This helped to expand on the beach theme and once again we coloured this in the same blue alcohol ink so it matched in with the colour scheme in the bouquet. We sourced these from Amazon and they are normally used for fish tank decorations - however they make the perfect decoration to use in beach bouquets.

The small starfish that we used came from Amazon as well and the shells we used were from a collection of shells that we already had at home.


For the base of the bouquet we wrapped around some seam binding ribbon in a cream colour. We also included a shell locket that had two pictures of my dad in. This is such a beautiful way to incorporate loved ones that are no longer with us and kept him close to me on my wedding day. 


The shell locket came in a gold brass colour which we turned shabby chic by dabbing on some cream coloured paint.


For my sister's bouquet, we included most of the same elements, however since she had some pink in her dress, we decided to add some pink flowers to her bouquet.


I think the bouquet complimented my sister's dress perfectly!

These bouquets turned out exactly how I imagined they would and they make great floral decorations that I can display around the house! 

Stay tuned for our next blog post in this Wedding Series which will feature our handmade Starfish Buttonholes.

No comments :

Post a Comment